Youth Leadership Development & Civic Engagement Manager
Alianza Coachella Valley seeks one individual for the position of Youth Leadership Development & Civic Engagement Manager.
PROJECT BACKGROUND & DESCRIPTION
Alianza is a collaborative partnership of nonprofit and public sector organizations, residents, community groups, and youth working together to improve the quality of life in the Eastern Coachella Valley and build a vibrant, healthy, and thriving Coachella Valley for all.
Alianza works to transform socio-economic conditions so that people in all communities have opportunities to prosper. We:
- Shape systems to remove barriers to economic and physical health
- Elevate local resident leadership to create opportunities for civic engagement
- Advocate through resident-led, issue-based campaigns that foster new leaders and collective impact
- Lead strategy for comprehensive policy solutions for our region
The Youth Leadership Development & Civic Engagement manager’s primary function is to provide leadership, oversight, and management of Alianza’s Youth Organizing Council (YO-C!), lead the overall vision, planning and implementation of the YO-C! goals and methodology to advance campaign priorities, and to achieve the collaboration of content partners and community leaders in the YO-C! Grupo de Trabajo.
This position reports directly to the Director of Programs and works closely with the YO-C! Grupo de Trabajo, Alianza’s staff team, content partners, and La Mesa.
Given the nature of the work, this position requires flexible hours as some meetings and program activities may occur outside normal office hours, on weekends, and in various locations. The primary work location is at the Alianza office in Coachella, CA. This is a full time, exempt position with benefits.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Youth Leadership Development
- Serve as the primary facilitator, trainer, and mentor in the delivery of the YO-C! curriculum.
- Recruit, oversee, and support youth leaders.
- Oversee the development and implementation of an enhanced YO-C! membership program that involves registration, logging in attendance, payment of stipends, increasing youth responsibilities and leadership, and youth recognition and celebration.
- Oversee the design and implementation of a fellowship program for YO-C! alumni who will coordinate youth engagement with campaigns including developing their leadership in civic engagement, community organizing, and narrative change.
- Provide one-on-one support to campaign managers and fellows to enhance youth roles in civic engagement, including deepening understanding, trust, open communication, and consensus about goals.
- Manage the youth civic engagement effort in support of Alianza campaigns and special initiatives (e.g., Census, GOTV, Candidates Forums) in cooperation with the Director of Programs and campaign managers.
- Manage the Hue Music and Art Festival, Kermes, Pride, Census outreach, GOTV, and other civic engagement activities.
Program Design, Implementation, and Expansion
- Continue the development and implementation of the YO-C! multi-year, sequential, progressive curriculum that involves leadership development, event project management, and civic engagement in pursuit of systems and policy change campaigns.
- Continue the development and implementation of the YO-C! Strategy Framework, including engaging the YO-C! Grupo de Trabajo content partners and community leaders.
- Oversee the creation and approval of the MOUs for all Yo-C! content partners, support team members, and technical assistance providers. Monitor deliverables and manage partner relations.
- Build alliances with strategic partners, school personnel, nonprofit organizations, and community organizations to significantly expand the youth involved in YO-C! including with the Torres Martinez Tribe and Palm Springs Unified School District.
- Participate in local, regional and state-wide convenings, conferences, meetings, training, activities, and events related to youth leadership, civic engagement, and movement building.
- Work in cooperation with the Operations Manager to provide YO-C! financial management including coding expenditures, reviewing monthly financial reports, problem-solving, and course corrections to ensure that Yo-C! conforms to its budget.
- Oversee prompt and accurate payment of youth stipends and fellowships.
- Assist the Director of External Relations in fundraising for YO-C! and for Alianza overall including assistance in grant writing, grant reporting, donor cultivation and solicitation activities, and identifying potential new funding sources.
YO-C! Campaign Grupo Coordination
- Support and coordinate the work of the YO-C! Grupo, including planning, budget development and management, and implementation of program methodology.
- Keep Grupo members aware of developments and foster openness and transparency among members.
- Ensure accountability of content partners including monitoring MOU deliverables and identifying problems or lack of progress. Seek solutions and course corrections.
- Coordinate the Grupo in their roles in cultivating donors, supporters, and potential funders.
- Serve as the primary contact and spokesperson for the overall communication and articulation of goals and objectives of YO-C!
- In cooperation with the YO-C! Grupo chairperson, regularly reports to La Mesa on the progress and accomplishments of Yo-C! and its support of the Alianza Campaigns. Seek La Mesa’s input and approval, as appropriate.
- Working in cooperation with the Communications Manager, lead external communication of YO-C!’s goals, methods, events, developments, and accomplishments. Ensure recognition of youth and community leadership.
- Ensure all communication and presentations are culturally sensitive and age-appropriate.
- Maintain mailing lists, databases, and attendance records directly related to YO-C! meetings and civic engagement efforts.
Documentation and Evaluation
- Design the evaluation plan, identifying measurable qualitative and quantitative benchmarks for YO-C! goals and outcomes, as well as developing the data collection methods.
- Ensure that data is collected and analyzed.
- Prepare quarterly progress reports and develop course correction solutions if necessary.
The position will supervise, train, and, coordinate community volunteers and members of the Alianza collaborative (including both adults and youth). Responsibilities will include assisting, supporting, and coordinating action plans, workflow, and identification of community needs, working closely with technical assistance providers and campaign teams.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to manage multiple time-sensitive projects, engage a diverse team in strategy development, communicate professionally on the phone and in person, work extended hours as needed, work with minimum supervision, exercise sound judgment at all times and be at work, consistently, on a full-time basis.
The individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a related field. Grassroots organizing experience is highly desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Deep interest in and commitment to the vision, mission, and work of Alianza Coachella Valley
- Professionalism with the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and integrity
- Strong strategic and political analyst
- Good math skills and ability to manage financial record keeping
- Creative thinker and problem-solver that is open to the insight of others
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships and to work collaboratively.
- Strong listening, interpersonal, networking, and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage tension among individuals and groups
- Able to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Maintain a positive, personable, outgoing and enthusiastic attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bi-lingual: Proficient in Spanish and English
- Effective and efficient project and time management. Able to prioritize workload and maximize resources while working on multiple projects
- Energetic and motivated to work independently
- Able to gather, interpret and organize data and prepare comprehensive written reports
- Able to travel and work evenings and weekends as required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possess a valid California Driver’s License and verifiable automobile insurance. Have the use of a reasonably reliable automobile or equivalent vehicle for transportation to scheduled events. Clear a background check.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Youth Leadership Development & Civic Engagement Coordinator is a full-time, exempt position. Salary ranges between $40,000 to $50,000 annually based on experience. Benefits include medical insurance and dental. Employees are eligible for benefits after they complete a whole 30 days of service in the calendar month.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting Monday, July 20th. Applications may be accepted until the position is filled. Only qualified candidates will be asked to interview.