DIRECTOR OF EXTERNAL RELATIONS
Alianza Coachella Valley seeks an individual for the position of Director of External Relations. Alianza is a project of Community Partners, which provides personnel, payroll, benefits administration, and accounting back office functions.
PROJECT BACKGROUND & DESCRIPTION
Alianza originates from a 10-year, strategic initiative funded by The California Endowment (TCE), which is committed to improving the health of all Californians, especially those in underserved communities. It is a collaborative partnership of nonprofit and public sector organizations, residents, community groups, and youth working together to improve the quality of life in eastern Coachella Valley and build a vibrant, healthy, and thriving Coachella Valley for all.
The Director of External Relations’ core role is to lead Alianza’s comprehensive and multi-year fund development efforts to meet income goals and to design and implement key development strategies including individual and institutional giving. In addition, the Director of External Relations will build strong relationships, support, and visibility among key sectors and stakeholders in the Coachella Valley, California, and nationally that will help support the fund develop effort.
The Director of External Relations reports directly to Alianza’s Executive Director and works closely with Alianza’s staff team, Sustainability Task Force (STF), campaign partners, and Strategic Coordinating Council (SCC) in designing and implementing the collaborative fund development campaign and building a deeply-rooted culture of philanthropy throughout Alianza.
Given the nature of the work, this position requires flexible hours as some meetings and program activities may occur outside normal office hours, on weekends, and in various locations. The primary work location is at the Alianza office in Coachella, CA. Must be able to juggle multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously on a continuous basis, to communicate professionally on the phone and in person, to work extended hours as needed, work with minimum supervision, exercise sound judgment at all times. This is a full time, exempt position with benefits.
- In cooperation with the Communications and Public Relations Manager, develop and oversee an annual plan for introducing, educating, and engaging key stakeholders in support of Alianza’s mission, goals, campaigns, and collective impact.
- In cooperation with the Communications and Public Relations Manager, ensure the production of materials and tools to use in donor and funder cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship as well as overall external relations that clearly communicate Alianza’s vision of collective impact, case for support, campaign and program goals, track record of community impact, and collaborative partnerships.
- Identify, research, and prioritize key individuals and institutional representatives that can promote and support Alianza’s efforts, including individuals from the public sector, philanthropy, business, policymakers, and major donors within the region, state, and nation, as appropriate. Actively reach out to these stakeholders and cultivate their ongoing engagement and support.
- Serve as a key representative of Alianza and involve other staff and partners in meeting with external stakeholders to leverage and expand relationships and to promote public understanding of the collaborative.
- Attend and participate in select meetings, trainings, and events relevant to the Alianza mission and that enable effective networking to expand Alianza’s supporters.
- Train, mentor, and support the Alianza staff, STF, SCC, campaign partners, community residents, and others in building their capacity and success in external relations on behalf of Alianza.
Development Planning and Assessment
- Design and lead execution of annual and multi-year development planning in partnership with the Sustainability Task Force, including setting income goals and developing strategies, systems, tools, and materials that can effectively achieve goals. Strategies include:
- Individual giving
- Grants (foundation, corporate, government)
- Sponsorship (of key events such as Pride and Hue)
- Revenue Generating Opportunities such as fee for service or other
- Develop and oversee the annual development and external relations budgets
- Contribute to the development of multi-year income and expense projections for Alianza including core operations, Campaigns, Youth Organizing Council, support of partners roles in collective impact, and community engagement.
- Proactively produce analysis, metrics, and reporting on progress towards the development plan goals to help inform strategies, correct course, and address unforeseen opportunities and challenges, while facilitating effective accomplishment of goals.
- Provide skill building, training, and coaching in diverse fund development strategies to the STF, SCC, Alianza staff, and partners with the goal of creating and maintaining a culture of philanthropy within the collaborative.
- Work with Technical Assistance providers and consultants to further development and external relations goals.
Major Donor and Individual Gifts
- Direct and grow the individual giving strategy and efforts, including major donors and broad-based appeals.
- Oversee identification, research, and prioritization of individual prospects and play an active role in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors.
- Train, coach, and support Alianza staff, partners, and community leaders in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors and expanding their capacity in resource generation for collective impact.
- Oversee ongoing donor and gift record-keeping within development software and organization files. Ensure timely and effective gift processing and acknowledgements.
Foundation, Corporate, Institutional, and Government Fundraising
- Develop and manage relationships with funders including foundations and local and statewide government sources
- Serve as the writer and editor of grant materials and set the tone for and maintain Alianza’s standards of excellence in writing, copyediting and presentation
- Track deadlines for proposals and reports and ensure on-time submission of complete packages; note the end of grant periods to begin conversations about renewed support
- Serve as a contact with foundation/corporate/government program officers and leaders; participate in meetings and site visits as needed
- Lead research efforts to identify new potential funders
- Identify, design, and coordinate implementation of targeted sponsorship opportunities related to key events such as Hue, Pride, Coachella festival events, and/or other key events. Develop cost-benefit assessments to help Alianza use time and resources wisely to achieve maximum support. Develop pathways for event sponsors to engage in support of Alianza as a whole.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum five years of nonprofit development experience or equivalent
- Proven track record with comprehensive fundraising strategies, including individual giving and foundation or government grantwriting
- Proficiency in producing excellent quality materials needing minimal editing
- Supervisory skills and demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team
- Proven ability to manage simultaneous projects
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION
- Must possess a strong commitment to the mission, policies, goals and philosophy of Alianza Coachella Valley
- Evidence of ability to work in a collaborative environment including partner collaboration for collective impact and strong team work among staff, partners, and community leaders
- Ability to take initiative, set priorities, and complete tasks
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail are expected
- Excellent oral, presentation, and written communication skills (English) with a demonstrated ability to relate to and communicate with diverse communities and stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to create positive, long-term working relationships
- Demonstrated commitment to team work and customer service, confidentiality, reliability, tact and flexibility
- Strong computer and technology skills
- Experience working with donor management software (such as E-Tapestry) a plus
- Willingness and ability to travel to meetings and other organization events
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possess a valid California Drivers License and verifiable automobile insurance. Have the use of a reasonably reliable automobile or equivalent vehicle for transportation to scheduled events.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Director of External Relations is a full-time position. This job position is grant funded and will only be available through the grant period – therefore the position will end when the grant funding ends. Salary ranges negotiable depending upon experience. Benefits include medical insurance. Benefits are available when employee completes introductory period and meets eligibility.
Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.